Thursday, July 5, 2012

Chickpea-Spinach Curry with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce

I am always on the lookout for delicious, inexpensive, gluten-free meals.  I pulled this recipe out of an old Real Simple magazine I had lying around my house (I didn't take a picture of my own, the picture below is from their website).  I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious it is! The Chickpea-Spinach Curry is tasty and filling and is perfectly complimented by the cucumber yogurt sauce which adds a  tart zing (I honestly don't know how else to describe it).  This is a fairly hearty meal, so I recommend eating it in the Fall rather than the Summer.


Ingredients
  • 2  tablespoons  vegetable oil
  • 1  large onion, chopped
  • 4  cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1  tablespoon  chopped fresh ginger
  • 2  tablespoons  curry powder
  • 2  15.5-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
  • 1  10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 1  cup  plain low-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1  cucumber—peeled, seeded, and chopped
  • 1/4  cup  chopped fresh cilantro
  • naan bread, for serving
Directions
  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
  2. Add the chickpeas, spinach, 2 cups water, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is slightly thickened, 10 to 12 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, cucumber, cilantro, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve the chickpea mixture with the yogurt sauce and *naan.


*I have yet to discover gluten-free naan, so I ate it with toasted gluten free bread instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment